Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Differentiation: Being a PURPLE Cow!

Earlier this week, my boss told me that we needed to continue to position and brand Phoneworx as a “purple cow” within our industry. Seeing my confusion, he painted the following picture: “Imagine this – as you drive down the road, you pass by a field filled with cows.  Most of them are black or brown, but one catches your eye. Why, because he is so dramatically different – he’s bright purple!  Strange? Yes. But he definitely got your attention!” With so many small businesses competing for customers, differentiation and proper image have never been more important. 
We live in a world of commodities. There are hundreds of banks, dentists, website designers, realtors, landscapers, and the list goes on and on!  In almost every way, these companies offer the same or very similar products and/or services. So how does one choose?  Let me give you a great example.
As a new resident in the Greenville area, I needed a new dentist.  So, the first thing I did was ask a coworker for a referral. He suggested I go see Dr. Brian Derrick at Falls Park Dentistry, located right downtown.  His personal referral carried a lot of weight, but didn’t seal the deal.  I had to be happy with the service if I was going to stick with this dentist. I called the office, was greeted kindly, and was able to set an appointment at the desired time on short notice – off to a good start. When I arrived (only having to walk a few blocks from the Phoneworx office), their office was really cool, clean, up to date, and the staff was responsive and friendly – still lookin’ good!
But, here’s what did seal the deal… Prior to beginning the actual examination and cleaning, I was offered a warm neck pillow, a paraffin hand treatment, and my own personal HD television to watch. Further impressing me was that the dentist used all the latest gadgets in the dental world. To top it off, Dr. Derrick was kind, funny, and willing to answer any questions and concerns that I had – I felt like I had been his client for years and it was only my first visit. The only thing missing was music-on-hold for the phone system. Phoneworx took care of that right away. J
WOW! Now, that’s what I call a “purple cow.” 
Similarly, at Phoneworx, we work hard at being purple. We want to be much more to our clients than simply a company that services and installs business phone systems. For example:
1.       We don’t ask clients to pick a business phone system out of a catalog! We have a state-of-the art showroom where you can touch, see, and hear our products prior to purchase. 
2.       We’re located in beautiful downtown Greenville, not an industrial park or some garage. Clients can stop by anytime to visit, to ask questions, or simply to enjoy the balcony overlooking Main Street.
3.       Our salespeople are non-commission, your assurance that you’ll never be “up-sold”. Suggestions are based solely on your needs – nothing else.
At Phoneworx, we are not content to sit on our hands or “ride the wave.” We are committed to continually being on the cutting edge in our industry, and sharing that knowledge and information with our clients. Above all, we are committed to helping small businesses to differentiate themselves!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment